2008年12月5日 星期五

exam essay revision

Published in English Journal (February 1989), Baines, L. A. mentioned that nowadays, people tend to convert the emphasis of writing from finished product to the process of writing. That is to say, before you start to write, you have to get a blue print in your mind which is so-called planning or brain-storming. This includes main sentence, thesis statement, supporting point of views and conclusion. After having the general ideas about what you are going to write come out, you begin to write the essay. But remember writing is not an easy thing, your composition can not be perfect at the first time. So you have to revise again and again. In addition, it can be more helpful by publishing your essay which means everyone can read it, and then you receive advice from them. What’s more, sharing what you write in the class activity is not uncommon in today. We do this because tudents are often unconscious of many forms of writing, teachers play an impartment role in it. On the other hand, as the use of computers become more and more common, many people benefit from it . They can write, edit, and publish their work on the media.
Take my experience for example, what I thought of writing essay when I was in senior high school was very different from what I have learned since entering in a college. It was ridiculous re-reading what I wrote before. In the first semester, I got some problems about composing since I did not get used to the new and “professional "writing skills. To begin with, he used “brain storming” to explain to us that in this phase, just made association whatever we could. And classify them. Then we have outlines, main sentence, supporting point of views, and then conclusion. This is called a draft. As the paragraph mentioned, revisions are necessary. Through revising again and again, we can know what need to be developed more and what to delete. The professional essay gradually forms. But often we tend to be unaware of what we write, which means that we need somebody to give advice. So sharing and publishing on a blog with classmates is very useful like what we do now. And by browsing other classmates’ blog, we can leave some suggestions on their blogs which may be helpful to them.
As I talked about the blog in the last paragraph, we use computer as a media to learn English, to hand in our paper, to discuss in freshmen English and now in composition class. At first, I could not get used to it because I thought that it was weird to write essay by using computer. It was supposed to be done on paper. Until now I totally agree with it. In the system we use “blogger”, and I found that there are many things we can do in a blog rather than just words on it. We can put video clips, some online resources or even little games to share with browsers. And writing on computers has some merits which are not existed in writing on paper, that is, we can write, edit and publish just through your fingers clicking on the keyboard and mouse. And everything’s done. So that’s how it attracts to many people nowadays.

沒有留言: