2008年9月29日 星期一

Think twice before you keep pets:Animals are innocent.

From http://e-info.org.tw/node/33069">here


In recently years, many moviemakers use animals as the main characters that impress audience with the affections between them and human beings. Such movies as《A tale of Mari and three puppies》、《Quill》、《Cats and Dogs》、《Eight Below》、《101 Dalmatians》,etc.. Dogs like Shiba inu、Labrador、Beagle、Husky、Dalmatians were very popular during the movies were playing in the theater. People bought them and afterwards found out that it was not easy to keep pets, especially it costs a lot of money to buy food, to pay for illness, to deal with everything that pets need. So, tragedies happen:innocent animals are abandoned.

To make a thorough inquiry, why adopting animals that appear in movies becomes a trend for people? I came up with some points:
(1) Curiosity:People are often attracted by the affections between animals and their hosts, so many of them imagine that whether it will happen to them.
(2) Fresh feelings:many of the animals first appeared in the movies when they were young. And as everybody knows, young animals are always so cute that it is hard for us not to look at them or even own them.
(3) Advertisement:Businessmen only care about the profits movies bring. So they do their best to publicize the movies without paying attention to the effects that spread out through the public.

I think those moviemakers have the responsibilities to promote the concept that animals are not toys. Animals need respects though they are dogs, cats, or even fishes.

3 則留言:

M.Y. 提到...

Is the issue of animal welfare a moral value or your preference?

If it is your preference, you are presenting conflicting values about animals. For movie makers, animals have instrumental values; for you, animals have intrinsic values. Whose interests should be taken care of? You may want to compare and contrast discourses and texts from both camps.

If you wish to make ethical arguments about animals, you can think about whether or how ethical theories relate to animals. Do animals have souls or consciousness? Do they have language(which is viewed as one of the intellectual capacities)?

sope2010 提到...

As a reader, when I saw your topic, I could understand what you were going to talk about in your article. Thus, I think you have a clear topic. The issue you have brought out was really a controversial one. You did point out your point of view about the issue: innocent animals are abandoned in the first paragraph, but you might want to emphasize your viewpoint more directly in the first paragraph. I realize that you strengthen your idea at the last paragraph, but do you want to do it both in the first paragraph and the last one? Also, you can talk more about your viewpoint.

Joyce 提到...

The issue you discuss is really interesting and could provoke the readers to think more about what the issue reveals. You list many points about why adopting animals becomes a trend. I think those conclusions you came up with are the results after you collecting information from the Internet. I think that is good and clear to the readers to understand the main point of this article. But I think you can illustrate more about your view points. And the conclusions can add more about some ways how to solve these problems or your view points about this phenomenon.